Spanning the western rim of the Las Vegas Valley at the foot of Red Rock Canyon is the master planned development known as Summerlin. This development started in 1990 and is 22,500-acres. Significant residential development and expansion, including the addition of parks, schools, community centers and pools new home offerings, as well as a practice facility for the city’s National Hockey League franchise and the home of the Las Vegas 51’s; continue to make Summerlin the best-selling master-planned community in Southern Nevada. Downtown Summerlin, the community’s 106-acre fashion, dining and entertainment destination was named Best in the Las Vegas by the Review-Journal in the 2016 poll. In 2014 Summerlin was named by Money Magazine as one of the “Best Places to Live in America.”
Featured Summerlin Neighborhoods History of Summerlin
The area we now call Summerlin was originally purchased by Howard Robard Hughes, Jr. in 1952. He originally named this land “Husite.” Years later after he passed away, his family changed the name to Summerlin, after his grandmother Jean Amelia Summerlin. Some of the land has been traded with the Bureau of Land Management. This land trade protected Red Rock National Conservation areas and gave the Howard Hughes Corporation more desirable land to build on, creating what we now know as Summerlin South.
Associations and Villages
- The Arbors is a 1,200 acre mixed use village comprised of single and multi family neighborhoods. It is home to many parks including the Arbors Sports Park, and the Arbors Tennis and Play Park. Also in the Arbors is the College of Southern Nevada.
- The Canyons is a 754 Acre village that is home to Bellacere, Canyon Crest, and Canyon Fairways custom home communities. Come enjoy the spa or play a round of golf at the JW Marriott Las Vegas Resort and Spa.
- The Crossing is home to many top ranked businesses, such as Capital One Credit Services, Expedia, and Allegiant. Also found in the Crossing is 2 parks, The Crossing Park and Oxford park, as well as John W. Bonner Elementary School, and Summerlin Hospital and Medical Center.
- The Hills is a 394-acre residential village which includes the Hills Park, Ernest A. Becker, Sr. Middle School and William R. Lummis Elementary School.
- The Hills South village is 725 acres and includes custom home communities in Eagle Hills, The Enclave, and Tournament Hills. Also found here is TPC Summerlin; home to the Shriners Hospitals for Children Open golf tournament.
- The Gardens village began development in 2000 and focused on creating neighborhoods in a garden setting. It features the Gardens Park. This park has 3 separate areas, 1. the community center, 2. the recreational courts, such as basketball and volleyball courts, and 3. the lawn area.
- Reverece, a village by Pulte Homes, was completed June 10, 2017 along the west rim of Red Rock Canyon. Within this guard gated community residents will enjoy 23 available floor plans, an 8 acre park, miles of walking trails, and indoor-outdoor recreation facility.
- Desert Shores is a master planned community that began development in 1988. The community was built around four man made lakes. Lake front homes have direct lake access with optional docs. Residents enjoy miles of trails, boating, fishing, swimming pool surrounded by a sand beach, parks, and sports courts.
- South Shores master plan is a community made up of single family residences, condo’s, apartments, and commercial properties. It offers beautiful views of the surrounding mountains, 20 minutes to the strip, downtown, and the airport.
- Tournament Hills Luxury community is located adjacent to the renowned TPC Summerlin golf course. This custom home community has a total of 134 homes. Tournament Hills luxury, guard gated community, offers exceptional views of the strip and surrounding areas, with homes starting in the millions.
- Summerlin Centre offers a variety of housing options from single and multi-family neighborhoods to townhouses and condo’s. Featured communities include Affinity by William Lyon Homes and Villa Trieste, Nevada’s first LEED certified neighborhood. Summerlin Centre has many amenities near by including parks, shopping, and businesses.
- The Ridges is an exclusive, guard gated community, featuring custom and semi-custom homes and condo’s. The Ridge’s is home to Bear’s Best golf course, designed by Jack Nicklaus. This luxury community offers a 9,000 sqft clubhouse with everything from a state-of-the-art fitness center to tennis courts, steam room, and resort style pool, to name a few.
- The Summit is Summerlin’s most exclusive luxury community. The Summit is located south of the Ridges and adjacent to the spring mountains. This community features 146 custom home sites, in addition to villa’s, cottages, bungalows and clubhouse suites. This scenic, secluded development offers the ultimate in luxury with a private, Tom Fazio designed, 18 hole golf course, and sweeping views of the Las Vegas Strip, Red Rock and Spring Mountains.
- The Cliffs can be found at the southern most point of Summerlin South. It has 10 neighborhoods, including Regency by Toll Brother’s; Summerlin’s newest active adult community. The Cliffs is also home to the top ranking private school Bishop Gorman Catholic High School, Wet & Wild Las Vegas, and Faiss Park and indoor aquatic center.
- The Mesa, a residential village made up of desert contemporary homes, is nestled against the Spring Mountain ridgeline in South Summerlin. You will find many residents enjoying Mesa Park; The Mesa’s 17.5 acre park with three little league fields, basketball and tennis courts, tot lots and picnic areas. The Mesa is just minutes to Downtown Summerlin, Red Rock Casino, the Las Vegas Strip, and the Golden Knights Practice Facility.
- The Willows is home to Willow Falls and Willow Creek. Two luxury custom home communities. Willow Creek is guard gated, and has a mix of custom and luxury home neighborhoods. The Willows offers it’s residents spectacular views of spring mountain, parks, trails, and community center.
- Red Rock Country Club offers an exclusive, guard gated, private setting. Members here have the opportunity to enjoy two Arnold Palmer golf courses; The Mountain Course (private) and the Arroyo Course (public). The clubhouse features formal and informal dining options, as well as the golf pro shop, locker rooms, and sauna. The Sports Clubhouse has a lap pool and tennis complex.
- The Paseo’s is a mixed use residential village that began development in 2003. You will find Paseo’s Park and Fox Hill Park here which include water features, interactive playgrounds, rock climbing walls and sports fields. There is also it’s on elementary school; Rosemary and Billy Vassiliadis Elementary.
- Stonebridge Village opened in July of 2017. Stonebridge Village has 11 neighborhoods. It is conveniently located west of the I215 beltway at Charleston Blvd and Sky Vista Dr. Just south of the Paseo’s. Resident’s enjoy parks and the Summerlin Trail System.
- The Vista’s was Summerlin’s first village in it’s western region. The community includes the Vista’s Park. A 24.3 acre park with lighted football, baseball/softball fields, lighted tennis and basketball courts, picnic and children’s play areas. Within the Vista’s you will also find the Vista’s Community Center featuring meeting rooms, kitchen, and pool. There is shopping and entertainment near by at Vista Commons, Downtown Summerlin, and Red Rock Casino.
Schools in Summerlin:
Summerlin is called home for many of the best schools in the Las Vegas Valley. It houses some of the top private, public, and charter schools. It is home to Bishop Gorman High School; a private Catholic college preparatory school, Palo Verde High School, Doral Red Rock, and even higher education institutions such as Roseman University of Health Schiences.
Summerlin Parks and Recreation:
Summerlin is known for it’s contribution to living an active lifestyle. Located within the Paseo’s Village is the park known as Fox Hill Park. It is designed to encourage physical activity. This park features an interactive playground, zip line, a 32 foot climbing tower, a frisbee golf course, grassy play areas, custom swings, and so much more! It has many community centers along with 25+ parks. This park count does not include the smaller neighborhood parks. Combined this brings it to over 250+ parks!
Thirty percent of Summerlin’s land is designated for community space, this includes parks, recreational facilities, golf courses, and natural preserved areas. Included in this acreage is the Summerlin Trail System. This trail system links the villages together and is said to be more than 200 miles long once it’s completed.
Summerlin Golf Courses
Summerlin is known for world renowned golf courses. It is home to courses like TPC Summerlin that was designed by Bobby Weed with player consultant Fuzzy Zoeller, Red Rock Country Club (home to The Mountain Course and the Arroyo Course), an Arnold Palmer designed course, and Bears Best Las Vegas, designed by Jack Nicklaus. Summerlin has both private and public courses designed to challenge players of all levels.