The City of Henderson has been named one of the “Safest Cities in America “ numerous times. It also tops the lists for most parks per capita and Best Cities to Live. Located just southeast of Las Vegas – it offers all the amenities of the big city with a small town feel. Just minutes from McCarren International Airport and Henderson Executive Airport.
With over 300 days of sunshine a year – Henderson is a great place to live and work. It is home to several Luxury Master-planned communities including Anthem Country Club,Green Valley Ranch, MacDonald Highlands, Lake Las Vegas, Tuscany and more. Many people relocate to Henderson because of the public, private and charter schools. Living here offers an active lifestyle with many golf courses, more than 37 miles of trails, and many shopping and dining options.
History of Henderson
Henderson emerged in the 1940’s during World War II. The Basic Magnesium Plant was built and quickly became the main supplier of magnesium to the United States – The town reduced in size by almost half after the war. It officially became a city in 1953 and has grown exponentially over the years to over 94 square miles of land.
- Seven Hills, a community known for large homes and private drives, is guard gated, and home to many of Henderson’s elite; including Mike Tyson. Seven Hills houses The Rio Golf Course and Revere Golf Club. Residents of Seven Hills have access to Henderson’s top rated schools.
- Anthem is an upscale community within Henderson, just 30 minutes southeast of the Las Vegas Strip. Anthem neighborhoods are part of the Clark County School District. Along with public schools, there are multiple private and charter schools in the area.
- Anthem Country Club is a luxury golf course community within Anthem. Residents here enjoy the lush landscaping of the golf course, along with it’s 6 lakes, waterfalls, and canyons. Becoming a member here offers multiple dining options, fitness center, swimming pools, social calendar, golf, and tennis. Anthem Country Club is a short 20 minutes to McCarren International Airport and 10 minutes to Henderson Executive Airport.
- MacDonald Ranch has many housing options available to it’s residents. Here you will find single family residences, condominiums, townhouses, and luxury custom homes. Living in MacDonald Ranch you are close to Green Valley Ranch Resort and Spa, multiple parks and recreation options, as well as numerous shopping and dining options.
- MacDonald Highlands offers the ultimate in luxury golf course living. It is nestled in the foothills of the Black Mountains. MacDonald Highlands is at one of the highest points in the city offering exceptional views of the Las Vegas skyline. The community is made up of luxury single family residences, townhomes, and custom homes carved into the mountainside. Within the guard gates you will find DragonRidge Country Club. Joining the club here offers a busy social calendar, golf, tennis, fitness facility, pool, and dining options.
- The upscale community of Green Valley was built in 1978, and the first master-planned community in the valley. Since inception, it has become home to some of the most expensive communities in the valley, including MacDonald Highlands, Roma Hills, and Ascaya. Smaller subsets of Green Valley have also developed, known as Green Valley North, Green Valley South, and Green Valley Ranch. The Green Valley area offers many golfing options, parks, shopping, dining, and entertainment.
- Lake Las Vegas is a master planned community built around a 320 acre artificial lake. The community offers single family residences, townhomes, and condominiums. Residents here enjoy the natural beauty of the surrounding mountains and lush green landscaping of Reflection Bay Golf Club, and Golf Club at SouthShore. The master-plan puts on many events throughout the year including the Nevada International Dragon Boat Festival, Trivia Nights, Neon Paddle boarding, and movies on the grass.
Schools in Henderson
Henderson is home to many top rated public and private schools. Here you will find schools like Montessori (a private school for pre-K – 8th grade), Pinecrest Academy (a public charter school for grades K-8), Vanderburg and Twitchell elementary schools, and Coronado High school (public schools).
Henderson Parks and Recreation
Henderson has many activities offered throughout the year through it’s parks and recreation centers. Henderson has 8 recreation centers; 2 of which are senior centers, and 1 aquatic center. The centers facilities include basketball courts, tennis courts, pools, fitness centers, indoor tracks, racketball, and rock climbing walls to name a few. They also offer many programs such as the Healthy Henderson program, Teen Scene, cooking, and acting classes.
Henderson has a total of 64 parks offering playgrounds, skate parks, trails, picnic areas, splash pads, and sports courts and fields. No matter what you like to do, there is something for everyone.